Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Alison's Growing Up

Well, it's official.  Ali has decided that she is just too grown up to hang out with Tommy and I when we go out anywhere.  I've noticed it in small doses when we go to the store or restaurants but last night it hit me in the face last night when she practically insisted on a 5 foot distance between herself and the rest of our family.  I remember those feelings of wanting to be able to go out on your own and not wanting to be seen with your parents - but thought that I'd have at least another couple of years before she got to that point.  No, apparently I'm "lucky" enough to have an early bloomer in that department.  I should have expected this when she became interested in skinny jeans, make up and jewelry.  My baby is no longer a baby. 

I can't even count the number of times in the last month that I've had to ask her to turn down the music in her room.  When she isn't listening to music on her little clock radio, she's either got her earphones in listening to her little walkman or sitting in a chair and reading a book.  I guess I can't complain about either of these issues - after all, I'm the queen of loud music and marathon reading periods.  But I just wish that she'd stayed little just a little while longer.  There are no more Barbie or My Little Pony parties, unless she's entertaining Aubrey. 

And while I could sit here and mourn this inevitable rite of passage I have decided that I will focus on the positive.  I am blessed that she is such a big girl.  She comes home from school and gets started on her homework immediately.  She plays with her baby sister and does her chores.  She puts herself to bed at night and wakes herself up in the morning.  She is becoming a truly remarkable young woman. And while I wouldn't have asked for this realization so early I am so proud of the person she is becoming. 

I once heard that when his children were young Dr Phil would ask them every night before bed "how did I get so lucky to have the best kids in the world?"  While I don't want to argue with the man himself, I must say that I have asked myself that same question about my own children.  I guess we each have the best children for us and I look forward to watching as all three of mine blossom into the incredible women I know they will become.  With Ali leading the way I know Amber and Aubrey will have a terrific role model to follow.  I'll be forever grateful to her for providing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment