Thursday, December 16, 2010

Meet the Cast

For those who didn't see, Fox Sports SW re-aired the 1995 Texas state 5A football championship game between Judson and Odessa Permian the other night.  It was all over my FB page as all my high school friends reminisced and chanted cheers that I hadn't heard in 15 years on their posts.  As I was looking at the posts I realized that I've got some great stories from when I was younger.  My life didn't start on Tuesday when I started writing this blog.  I've lived a good life and have already had lots of experiences that are worth telling.  Therefore, I will sometimes post blogs about things that happened to me before but which I would like to share with you.

I figure that before I start telling you these stories it's important to introduce you to the people who have been most important in my life.  You will see their names often both in posts about my previous experiences as well as my current stories.  So without further ado, here is a list of the most influential people in my life:

1.  My mom and dad.  Both of my parents were active duty Air Force when I was growing up.  It was an interesting life having a mother who was a commissioned officer and a father who was enlisted.  They fell in love and got married in spite of the fact that it just wasn't done for commissioned officers and enlisted service members to fraternize.  Growing up, my family moved often and as a result of that they became my support system.  To this day my parents are two of my closest friends and I love them dearly.

2.  Becky and Jerri.  Becky and Jerri are my sisters.  They were born 16 months apart and as a result were best friends growing up.  I was the odd sister out.  This probably helped me to develop the interpersonal skills that I now have and I'm grateful for that.  But as we've gotten older I've developed stronger bonds with both of them and am so incredibly happy to have them in my life.  My parents sent Becky to a terrific culinary school in San Antonio for the sole purpose of making me all my favorite foods every time she sees me, regardless of whether she agrees with that statement ;-)

Jerri moved to Los Angeles last spring to live with her girlfriend Delores.  I hate that she's so far away but am ecstatic that she's found someone who makes her happy.  I look forward to meeting Delores in person sometime soon and welcoming her to the family.

3.  Celeste.  You might also see her called Leste in my posts.  I met Celeste on my very first day of school in San Antonio.  We'd just transferred from Sacramento and I was feeling completely out of sorts.  She introduced herself to me and (thank goodness!) we ended up with something like 4 classes together that first year.  I've known her for 2/3 of my life and she has been an honorary member of my family for most of that time.  She is the yin to my yang.  We joke that she has invaded my gene pool because Amber's eyes are just like hers and no one else in the family is even close.  She is Alison's godmother and I'm so proud to have her not only in my life but also in my childrens' lives.
 
4.  Tommy.  I met Tommy when I was 15 years old and he is my second oldest friend.  I'm not sure what I can say about him other than he's the love of my life.  We don't always agree on everything (especially politics) but share a genuine respect for each other that permits us to agree to disagree on those issues.  If you're reading my blog, then chances are that you've met him and know what a lucky girl I am to have made him my husband. 

5.  Ali, Amber and Aubrey.  My three girls.  They light up my life in ways I never even knew were possible.  I've known my entire life that I was meant to be a mother but I can't believe I was so lucky to have such amazing little girls.  I only hope that our family continues to grow and bond and that as they get older that they hold me in the same regard I hold my parents.

6.  Deanna.  Deanna is another of my very best friends.  We started as neighbors almost 10 years ago and our friendship has grown in so many ways.  First she was my neighbor, then my employer, then my business partner.  Somewhere along the way she also became my friend.  We haven't worked or lived near each other in 7 years but have only gotten closer through that time.  She taught me how to be a mom and I will forever be grateful to her for that and all the other things she's done for me in the last decade.  I look forward to many more years of friendship with her. 

7.  Chasity.  Chasity is my friend and business partner.  We first met 4 years ago and decided to form a partnership shortly thereafter.  Through the years she's become more than my business partner and is now a good friend.  She is always there when I need someone and is a wonderfully kind and generous spirit.

8.  The MBers.  Anyone who I have the privilege to work with at Metro Brokers is an MBer.  I know you hear it said often and by many different people, but my work family is just that - my family.  Many of them have known me since I first got into real estate and I'm delighted to say that the MBers are among my favorite people in the whole world.  They been actively involved not only in watching my business grow, but in helping me as my family has grown.  Aubrey can't drive by the intersection of 36th and Main without asking if she can go and see Miss Betty.  It's an amazing company in many aspects but the people just push it even farther.  I don't ever want to work anywhere other than with these people.

9.  The Auxiliary.  Formally known as the Fraternal Order of Police Auxiliary.  This is a support organization for police officers' families and I'm so excited to belong to it.  I've been an active member for almost 9 years, a local officer for the last 7 and a state officer for the last 5 (I think?).  I feel strongly connected to this cause and am always happy for new opportunities to serve.

OK, so I know this has been a long post and that it reads like an acceptance speech for an Academy Award but these people deserve the recognition they're getting.  You will hear their names often.  I'm sure I've left people out and will add them as I think of it but this is a good start.  Thanks for looking at this and I promise the posts will get better :-)

1 comment:

  1. OK, are you just gonna leave the cast with no play? Come on, you are a great writer (no surprise), so please, continue to share!
    Love you and love to hear about your fam and thoughts!

    ReplyDelete