Monday, December 13, 2010

An Introduction

Well, I've decided to join this online journaling craze but don't have any delusions that I'll become the next Perez Hilton.  To be honest, I'm just hoping to compile some of my thoughts and experiences so that one day my daughters can look at this and know me as I am now, and not just as the cranky old lady I'm sure to be when they're teenagers and beyond. :-)

 To give a point of reference I'll tell you where we are in our lives right now.  I'm currently in my early thirties (Tommy would die if I gave my actual age and welcomed identity thieves to use it!) and have 3 wonderful children.  Ali is 9, Amber 7, and Aubrey is 3 years old.  Of course Tommy is my wonderful husband and we have been married for almost 10 years.  He works as a police detective and I'm a real estate broker. 

There are a couple of things that you should know about me, so I'll spell them out really quickly:

1.  I am a ridiculous optimist.  I believe the best in just about everyone and everything.  I might sometimes get a little down but it doesn't ever last too long.  Life's too short to spend it being unhappy or disappointed.  My motto is "if it won't matter to me in 5 years I won't let it bother me too much now" and that phrase has served me well over the last 15 years or so.

2.  I am a little bit of a grammar and pronunciation Nazi.  If you ever notice a misspelling or grammatical error in one of my posts you can probably expect me to edit and correct it.  I hate misspelling or mispronouncing names in particular.  I can't tell you how many times I've had a telemarketer call me Gina Lard (yes, Lard - as in pig fat).  Please let me know if I ever misspell or mispronounce your name - I'll be mortified if I find out later that it happened and I didn't correct it.  I'm kind of OCD about it.

3.  I love music!  Music of just about every sort and variety.  As my inimitable college band director Jim Hudson used to say "Great music is meant to be played LOUD!"  That being said, I should probably take a moment to apologize to the good citizens of Norman if they've ever driven next to me and heard my stereo louder than theirs.  Even more I should apologize for the fact that I was probably singing at the top of my lungs at the time and you had to hear that, too.  I cannot listen to music quietly, whether it's at home, on my headphones or in the car.  It has an amazing ability to convey any mood or thought that could possibly enter your head.  I am often brought to tears by certain songs and will not apologize for feeling it so deeply.  I am happy to say that my girls are already little connoisseurs of many varieties of music.

4.  I have loved my husband since I was 15 years old.  He is one of my very best friends in the world and I can't imagine my life without him.  I called dibs on him in high school and, although I certainly enjoyed dating lots of boys in college, I always expected that we would one day be together.  We have 3 of the most amazing little girls in the world and generally live a pretty happy life.

There are about 50 million other things I'd like to tell you but I'm sure you'll find them out over time.  Thank you for taking the time to look at the ramblings of my silly mind.  I hope you have an amazing day!

3 comments:

  1. I already knew those things about you, but I feel like I learned a so much more about your happy family! Keep up the positive good blog, I am enjoying it. (funny, I am all those things too, except I think you love music more than my 20 year old...that's saying a lot! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a legacy for the girls... they will treasure seeing you though "fresh" eyes! And, I am going to steal and repeat your 5 year philosophy.

    ReplyDelete